Friday, April 4, 2014

Do you have any tips for camping with young children?




yahooey


We have done it before...but it has been almost 2 years. We will be tent camping with a 2 1/2 and 5 year old. We got a site with both electrical and water hookup. Any tips would be great, thanks!
we'll be at the beach.



Answer
bring their bike :) we went camping on the weekend and it was a very kid friendly park where they had activities every hour planned for the kids and it was so much fun but all the kids had bikes and my son was the only one without one.

glow sticks and sparklers are great for night time. We bought some chalk at the dollar store and my son was playing with it and like 5 kids flocked over to play with him, it was a great friend maker :)

get a laundry basket and fill it with your cooking items, that way everything is together so you can whip up a quick meal.

taking kids camping..?




AC


Me and my hubby love to camp but we never took the younger kids camping and this time he camping near water can anymore give me some tips to help us we have a 10 year old and 6 years they both have been before also have 3 and 1 years old and i am pregnant


Answer
The first thing I do is establish "boundaries" with my kids: we walk the perimeter of the space around our campsite with which I'm comfortable exploring. Make it as large as you feel comfortable so they can have some exploring time without you hovering - that's part of the joy of the outdoors. I taught my two and four year old that if they hear an adult calling their names, they are to immediately freeze and shout, "Here I am." It allows us to keep tabs on them during that moment of panic when they're on the other side of the big rock or the kneeling to look at ants under a tree stump and you don't immediately see them. With the older two, I recommend walkie talkies, which work great for exploring after they've become familiar with their surroundings.

I'd definitely recommend a baby carrier/backpack that your husband can carry the one year old in so that you can hike as a family. REI has some wonderful free scavenger hunt/outdoor journals for kids. My family also loves geocaching: looking for "treasure chests" helps break up a longer hike into manageable chunks and keeps the kids going. Unless your 3 year old regularly hikes, I wouldn't plan anything longer than a 2.5 miler, unless you want to carry him back (my rule is one mile for every year they are old, but you have to plan for a little less than that because no kid hikes in a straight line). Enjoy the journey - not the destination.

Ditto on the glow sticks (they're nightlights in the tent), but cheap glow necklaces also work great for locating your kids at twilight and making them feel more secure too. For sleeping, we still bring a pack and play for my two year old. A matress pad/blanket under the sleeping bag will add to the warmth factor and we have our kids sleep in double pajama layers (long john types with socks inside of footie sleepers) and knit hats when they sleep. We always keep a little porta-potty inside the tent at night: my potty-training daughter uses her little potty seat regulary, but her older brother has been known to "borrow" it while camping when it's too cold and dark to make it to the outhouse.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment