Saturday, October 26, 2013

When camping, what is you preference ... RV, tent, lean to, or some other means of shelter?

kids outdoor camping tents on Day Weekend Free Clipart: Camping Clipart, RV camping, tent camping ...
kids outdoor camping tents image



Mother Hen


I have found myself most comfortable crashing out on the picnic table after everyone else has pooped out and quieted down. Seems I don't like being enclosed in any kind of shelter. But in the even of bad weather, I'll stick with my little teardrop trailer. She's waterproof. What's you game plan when camping?


Answer
A five star hotel with crisp sheets, great restaurants and shopping! I am an outdoor person, but camping is not my thing. When I went to camp as a kid, I didnt have a sleeping bag, and used a bed roll we learned to make, I woke up after a fitful night with all sorts of flora and fauna in my bedroll. I was mortified. I was supposed to stay for two weeks. When our parents came to visit after the first week on the weekend, my bags were packed and I left with my parents. So much for that!

What's your favorite activity to do with your children?




Greywolf


I'm looking for new ideas for family time. When giving your answer, please give the ages of your kids. THANKS!


Answer
I can't speak to my favorite activity to do with my kids as I don't have any yet, but I can tell you what my favorite activites were with my parents when I was growing up.

The zoo was a perennial favorite for me and my siblings, throughout our entire lives (we currently range in age from 16 to 26). I loved going on hikes with my mom in our local parks and forest reserves, as we took bird and flower books and learned to identifiy the different species. One of the reserves we went to also had an interactive area where we could hold snakes, lizards, turtles, watch bees in their colony, etc. I grew up with a deep respect for nature and a knowledge of all things natural that few of my peers have. Along those same lines, we loved going to the Natural History Museum and seeing the stuffed animals and skeletons. We also took this love of the outdoors and nature to our annual vactations, where we visited almost every state within driving distance and went camping - not RV camping, but tent camping. We camped at the headwaters of the Missouri river in Minnesota, in the badlands of South Dakota, in the forests of Arkansas....camping is still a favorite activity as an adult, and it teaches a lot of life lessons too - I'm proud that I'm not a "girly" girl and can sustain myself by building a fire, knowing what is okay to eat in the wild, building a shelter, etc. I can tie knots, set up a tent in minutes, chop firewood, etc.

We also went on many picnics, where we'd pick up KFC and take a kite and a frisbee and toss it around while enjoying the sun and outdoor family time.

Building something together was always memorable, whether it was a simple birdhouse or a more elaborate fort outside.

My mother and father were both artistic, so we had many craft times. We painted and glued our own ornaments when it was Christmas time, made paper turkeys at Thanksgiving, etc.

As we got old, family game night became the highlight of the week. It started with a few games geared toward the youngest of the kids, like Chutes and Ladders or Hi Ho Cherry-O, then when they went to bed it would continue with more advanced games like Clue, Scrabble, Sequence, Scattergories and Pictionary, and card games like Poker and UNO and May I. Right now our favorite games are Settlers of Cataan and Apples to Apples. It's a tradition I hope to continue with my children when the time comes.

When we were very small, like three and four, I remember our dad making us into pizza and we'd always clamor for him to do it again. He'd lay us out in his lap, spread us out (pretending that he was rolling out the dough), toss us in the air, then spread sauce on us, put pepporonis (or whatever kind of pizza we decided to be) on us, then sprinkle us with cheese (light tickling). Then into the "oven" where we'd cook for a few seconds and out we'd come, where we'd be gobbled up. It sounds cheesy but younger kids absolutely delight in it.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment