Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Are There Play Kitchens and Playhouses for a Tall Six Year Old?




Lilgirl


I'm looking for one to purchase. The six year old is 47 inches tall. I was looking at the KidKraft Large Kitchen in pastel. There doesn't seem to be anything along these lines for a tall girl whose waist comes to about 28 inches from the floor. Same thing with playhouses. She would have to bend at the waist while in it. Any advice, suggestions? I put a question similar to this in Toys, but figured I'd ask here as well. Thanks all for answering! Happy Holidays!!!


Answer
I am a giant person, so when I had a daughter, I worried. I remembered not be able to get a little car as a child because I was too tall.
However, how's this for irony - My 8 year old is 49" (that would be about the 28 percentile), but she's about the same size as your daughter. So here is what my kid still fits in.
All the plastic playhouse - too small and awkward. She will be able to get in and think it's cool, but it's not comfortable enough to play in.

The plastic kitchens too small. The expensive wooden kitchens - just fine. They are small, but the pieces can be moved around and you don't get that small feeling.

Perfect playhouse - it's for the indoor - my size barbie pegasuscastle. We have had ours for 2-3 years and I know they made one last year or the year before. It seems pricey, but it's very nice. The kids like to kneel in it, so it's not too sure and it's really nice. It has a cloth (tent-like) that goes over a plastic frame. The catch is - can you find one? I don't know. If you can't, you can build wooden playhouses or get cool pop-up tents for preteens.

Keep in mind, people will treat your daughter like she is older and expect her to act more mature. So, she will most likely want toys for older girls sooner than her peers. Studies have shown that the higher expectations for taller children help them as young adults. As adults taller people are considered more successful.

We also built a sky-fort, kind of a cross between a wooden swing set and a tree house. (This was in part for her giant cousin who's got his aunt's tall genes - so he could play with her).

Another thing we did for my daughter (expecting her to be a giant like me), I bought oversized party dresses on clearance, so she's have dress-up clothes. The clothes work great for some of her taller friends now.

Just make sure you keep telling her how cool it is to be tall. She'll be able to carry off a lot of styles of clothes as a young woman. Being able to reach top shelves is a big asset in life. Changing celling bulbs without a stepladder or stool is nice, too. Most men love tall woman. A longer torso makes everything from swimming to pregnancy easier. May someone can tell me some great things about being tiny to tell my minature daughter?

Anybody here buy IKEA kids furniture before?




The Jolly


I'm a little peeved now that I found out my sons convertible crib was recalled in April. :( Now I'm trying to find something quickly (and cheap) until I find a bedroom set I really like.

Any experience with IKEA childrens furniture? I was thinking he would like this because I could flip it upside down and make it like a little bed cave for him lol (he loves tents) http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10123996
Oh god no... I don't sound like a popsicle mom do I? lol

I just don't want to deal with this right now... I'm getting sick, the kid is getting sick and now I worry about putting him in that bed. Ugh.



Answer
Do it do it do it

Here it is playhouse-d up: http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/inspiration/from-kura-loft-bed-to-playhouse-reader-project-109617

Most of my house is Ikea; it is perfect for kids -- looks okay, cheap enough so its getting trashed is not a tragedy.

I spent my childhood pleading for their little loft beds each year when the catalogue came out. Every effing year: "No, because you'll outgrow it in no time. You'll think it's babyish and then we'd have to go out and buy you a new bed." Every year!!

Which meant that in my _twenties_ I had to go out and buy something like this: http://www.divorcemag.com/images/Image/ikeaPE060576.jpg

because of all that deprivation in my childhood. Be kind and let him get "loft bed" out of his system now, so he doesn't embarrass himself later.

We have a bit of kiddie Ikea here and it's great -- this in particular http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40100253 is wonderful; I would've adored a chair like that as a kid. My daughter uses it as both play spot and as relaxation hideaway.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment