Sunday, May 18, 2014

What should I look for in a new tent and where should I look?

Q. I have an old Coleman tent which was junk the day I bought it but now I want something much nicer.
I shouldn't be cheap.


Answer
What kind of camping do you do? Backpacking or car camping?

How many people are you trying to fit in your tent?

What is the climate like where you typically go camping? Will you be winter camping?

Do you want a basic tent or one with some bells and whistles?


Too hard to answer without that info. However, check out REI, the tents they sell are awesome, especially the REI brand and Big Agnes.

Science camp tent problem?




Hans


We are having a science camp in around 2-5 months time, but i want to get prepped ASAP
I'm a DIY guy and i prefer making my own stuff as opposed to buying them.
Back on topic, we will have the camp outside in our school field (if you think it's boring, think again; our field is HUGE) and our teacher said we should bring a tent/ Problem is, i don't have one. Should i go buy a tarp and make my own stakes (i have a few designs) or should i just borrow a tent from someone. And what tarp tent design would you recommend (it's an open field, no trees)
Thanks in advance!
I only need it for sleeping, i'll put it in the middle of the other tents so that It would experience less wind.
Also, i can bring a .7m long sturdy copper pipe, should be enough for giving me room to sleep. I just need a good design and if it is logical to make my own tent.
Besides, i have no idea from who to borrow
Yes i know you are thinking going DIY would give me a hard time but I prefer it over pre-bought ones not because i get to impress my classmates and teachers if it all goes well but i get to learn a life skill that i might use at some point later on in my life.
I'm thinking of making a miner's tent or a closed tetrahedra tent.
Anyways, any more criticism about me going DIY will be readily accepted



Answer
Since you are interested in tent design, you should recognize that you are failing to consider important functional components of a tent. A tent does not merely provide you overhead shelter. The tent has a tub-like feature of flooring so that you suffer neither moisture from the ground, nor run-off. The tent walls provide both protection from blowing winds and rain intrusion, but also ventilation of condensation and protection from biting insects. Furthermore, in an open field, you need a stand-alone tent support structure.

It is much cheaper to purchase a multi-component tent assembled by poorly-paid workers in Asia, than to purchase all of the parts constructed by poorly-paid workers in Asia to make your own tent. Your do-it-yourself project will not provide any real-life survival lesson, unless you always carry a manufactured tarp with you in the wilds, which would be heavier than carrying a good tent. An ultra-light backpacking tent only weighs 2 pounds, the same weight as 1 quart of water or a good down jacket. Therefore, your survival is more dependent on buying good gear than fabricating your own tent. You would learn more about creating shelter if you are allowed to dig in the field to construct a sod-walled structure and harvest and bind enough layers of grasses to build a roof over the sod. Then, you would still need to add ground insulation for warmth and dryness for your bedding and would suffer from invasive insects.

-----------------------------------------------

Late at night, I got into the DIY spirit and found you a tent design that is awesome. However, I think that your budget and time will be severely strained if you accomplish the task of designing and waterproofing your own tent. You must buy a used cabin tent for materials at rummage sale or classified ads, which could be $50 to $100, cut and sew which takes days, tailor skills and a sewing machine, seal all seams which costs about $10 and takes one day, and waterproof the entire fabric with 303 Fabric Treatment or cheap silicone spray, which is $5 to $30 per treatment.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment