Thursday, May 15, 2014

How do you keep the inside of a tent clean when it's snowing?




Jim


When it comes time to set up camp and you've been hiking through the snow all day you're going to be covered in snow. How do you keep the inside of your tent (1-2 person tent) from becoming a sloppy mess when you crawl inside and change into your sleeping clothes?


Answer
I have camped in subzero conditions many times over the decades in the lower 48 and here in Alaska.
First you need pac-boots with a removable insert, many are made with wool felt and the more modern ones use high tech fabrics. This is very important because with the insert you can walk into the vestibule, take off the boots, remove insert and place it in the bottom of your sleeping bag to dry and warm, leaving the boot at the entrance. I keep an extra pair of pac-boot inserts, in case one doesnât dry by the next day.
A pair of military âMickey bootsâ can be worn in the tent while you get things set for the night.
To further lower snow in tent I place a tarp on the ground larger than the tent foot print, extending past the vestibule by 6 feet. I set my tent up and place another tarp over it extending out over everything, leaving the ends open for air flow. This creates an extra vestibule for a âmud/snowâ room where you can brush off your boots and clothing with a hand broom and sweep it outside. This area will stay cold and so the snow wonât melt into a mess. In the tents vestibule I have a heat source to cook or warm up with but not to keep the tent warm all night. If set up right the cold air will flow into the vestibules into the tent and out the back of a tent window. This reduces condensation on the inner walls of moisture and provides fresh air to breathe while providing a place to cook or dry out clothing. I use a propane cook stove for this and so you have to have a flow of air or you can die from lack of oxygen.

How do I camp with no tent?




Colter B


How can I camp using only what I can carry on my back. I have a big wool blanket, a military-grade casualty blanket, a sleeping pad and a ground cloth. Are there any light weight, one man tents that are inexpensive I could use? I am very limited on space dedicated to sleeping arrangements, space and weight are a big issue. I just want something simple, not too big or fancy, that will keep me dry at night. Any ideas? Oh ya, a sleeping bag is too large, this wool blanket I have is warm, big and still light weight and small. I don't have to worry about freezing to death in my area, it doesn't get cold.... we might hit 30F twice in a year. If i get into trouble with the cold, I can just use the casualty blanket. My basic goal is a very small compact tent and directions on hoe to use a pad, ground cloth and blanket in a functional manner.


Answer
An 8x10 tarp and some para-cord will work even in foul weather. I use one alot. Keeps the early morning dew off at the least. Can just go lean-to using a third of it as a ground cloth, or hang it as an awning and get dirty, or make a tube of it when things get real nasty.
You'll want some kind of ground cloth to protect your pad and protect you from ground moisture so you're carrying it anyway.
Go cheap and disposable with visqueen/plastic sheeting, or go top end with light weight silicone impregnated nylon. Keeps your gear dry also if you pack it right. I haven't carried a tent pole in over 5 years.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment