Sunday, September 15, 2013

Are bigger campers better?

kids tent bed with slide on Coaster Kid's GI Child Bunk Bed with Slide and Tent, Twin Size Reviews ...
kids tent bed with slide image



"Anyone El


My wife and I looked at some small campers (12 - 15 ft) this weekend.

Here's my point of view. If you're going camping, why do people "need" these big 32ft, slide-out monsters? The only camping we have ever done is tenting so I have a pretty basic view of the subject.

It seems like a lot people start out small and then get something bigger.

I'm torn on campers anyway. You know the old saying, "The 2 best days with a camper are the day you buy it and the day you sell it."

Any advice would be great.



Answer
Actually, most people are downsizing their campers these days due to the cost of gas. Compact campers under 2500 lbs that can be towed with a regular sedan or light truck are in high demand and people can't give away the big behemoths any more. You can expect to pay twice as much for a small camper as for a large one.

After tenting and backpacking for decades we decided now that we turned 60 we deserved a little more comfort and got a compact trailer. We bought a nice used 16 footer last Fall ( a 2006 Sun Valley Road Runner) and we just love it. It has everything you need: beds for 6 (convertible dinette that seats 4, fold-out couch and two drop down bunks), gas range, dual fuel fridge (propane or electric), sink, hot and cold running water, flushing toilet and shower, heat and AC and tons of lighting plus a pull out awning on the side. Plus it only weighs 2200 lbs and we can tow it with our 4 liter Ranger pickup. It doesn't feel cramped at all since it has good ceiling height and tons of windows, And we get 16 to 18 mpg travelling with it. I can't imagine needing a larger trailer than this one, unless you had like 4 kids or more

We also looked at Forest River R-Pods, which are really neat compact lightweight trailers similarly equipped. New they are around $9000 to $11,000 and not a whole lot less used. We got a super deal on the Road Runner for around $4000. I think since you are used to camping you will find the smalller trailers quite a luxury like we do, and not crave anything bigger. We still like tenting sometimes, but it is hard to beat the pleasure of having a dry roof over your head with room to stand and take a hot shower or cook a meal when the weather turns nasty, And I love having the toilet and the refrigerator. It's our little cottage on wheels.

How do YOU do it?




Lovin' Lif


I am a stay at home mom of two, ages 3 and 1. I love what I do, but I am wonderding just how to maintain my sanity. My days I wake up early and start cleaning, and when the kids wake it is pretty much a hit and miss if I get anything else done that day! If I am lucky, I will get a shower during there naps (which most of the time I spend trying to get the rest of the house done!!) My husband gets home and hopefully I will have dinner started, which means we eat around 8! That should be bedtime! After spending no time with my kids that day, getting a shower last minute, a deprived husband, and by chance I remembered to feed the kids.....there is no time and I have to do it all over again! What is wrong with me.....help? I'm sad because I look out my neighborhood and see all of the other families and moms enjoying their days with their kids....and they seem to have it all together. I have to be doing something so wrong! I want that life....help me get on track!! : (
It seems that everyone around me has it together. I feel so bumfuzzled and overwhelmed. My husband is military and works all the time. I know he is hating this...I would if I were him. It's driving a huge wedge between us. I know that the "house can wait" but there are some things that need to be done. I have to clean or I would really be screwed! On top of it all, I need some serious help getting ahead.
So far today I have done two loads of laundry, put some dishes in the wash, and picked up the same toys dozens of times. I'm just trying to get to where I can do my floors, that by the way are horrible! No carpet, all tile. My couches are sticky, I have no idea why! And I haven't even thought about supper tonight...geesh.
Most days I want to just go out and enjoy the day and leave it all behind. But in my neighborhood, you have to dress for a pagaent*, or you will get looked down on and get some horrible looks. I have been there. It's like none of them are "real" stay at home moms? Hair done, nails perfect, pressed clothes?? How is this?



Answer
Please relax! You need not to worry about keeping up wit the other moms who look like they have it together. They probablly just have a scedule going on, thats why! Ill give you a hint of what I do, since I think im the talk of my neighbors wondering how my home is so nice, with nice things in it, but not falling appart at the seems...
When you need to take a shower, do what I do... put the kids in the shower with you. It will save water #1, and save time. Wash their hair and everything when you're doing your own! We do that when we're getting ready to go anywhere with our 16month old son... And when I used to live with my neices and nephews, same thing. Saves time! Or, shower at night when they're sleeping. Before you go to bed...
You can also wait to clean the house until the afternoon...
Do the laundry, and dishes, clean the kitchen, LIGHT DUTY! in the day time! And spend more time focusing on taking the kids outside. Buy a blow up pool for the yard, and take them out there for a few hours, playing around, and basically wearing them OUT is the point to this! Kepping them in doors is only going to drive you insane!!! And them too, obviously! Or, get a bike, and buy one of those little trollys for the back that they can ride it, it looks like a tent kinda.... Take them for a little ride. Take them to the park... etc. Also, in doors you can do things that will keep them busy, and you busy too! Buy some play doh and clean everything off the dining table, and let them play with that, even the little one can watch, they will love it too! Or, get some crayons and color WITH them. PAINT with THEM! Go to the PARK and get on the slide WITH them.... The whole reason why they are clomping at the bit, per say, is because they want YOU to play with them too! For example, my son has EVERY toy almost known to man, and the neatest room for a toddler, but where is he? With me, in the living room wanting to check out what IM doing. Whatever it is I put in front of him, he doesnt care, he wants to be apart of what Im doing...
Worry about the house in the afternoon.... Or evening when they're in bed. And they will surely go to sleep earlier if they're exhausted... That will give you an hour to clean or tiddy the house. You can start your day with a schedule like this:

around 8 - 9am feed breakfast, and clean up after that mess
9-10am take a bath, get ready for the days event
10-11am do activity! Bring a stroller so if the 1 year ld gets tired, they can nap easily... as the 3 year old is playing....
Be home by 1:00pm!
or so...
Put 3 year old down for nap....
Should sleep for 1 hour.... within that hour, you can figure out waht you will be making for dinner.... If you need anything from the market, make a list. And when the 3 year old wakes up, take him and 1 year old with you to the market, and let 3 year old HELP getting the items you need. Like puttting tomatoes in bag for you, etc. Leave 1 year old in cart...
Be home by 4:00 - 5pm, BOTTOM LINE! No matter what you're doing that day.... start cooking then, when the kids are playing in room, or watching a video, you can prepar the food. If you're struggling, let them think they are "helping" you... By ketting forks and spoon, or tell 3yo to "help" get younger 1 yo ready for dinner.
Im guessing Hubby comers home around this time. GREAT, let him take care of the kids for 1 hour when you're getting dinner together.... or whatever!!!
By 6:00-6:30 dinner should be FED!
After dinner, LEAVE MESS!!! Or be like me, clean as you're cooking!
LEAVE MESS, go bathe the kids, together! Saves time and energy!
By 7:30pm, have kids out of bath, and into jammies.... Give 1 year old milk, and give 3 year old story.... All kids in bed SLEEPING by NO LATER than 8:30pm! Bottom line!

By 9:00pm you will have kitchen clean, and if you need to vacume, you can then. Do whatever cleaning at that point! Take a shower when you're done, then go spend time with you hubby, and have some "mommy & Daddy" time. I promise, when you're woking with a schedule, your kids will react differernt, and be happier! THEy are wanting for this. You need it too! You and your husband will have a better relationship too! If you're ever feeling MAXED, email me! Ill help ya out!!! Take care!!!



REMEMBER: Life is NOT always about how CLEAN your house is, its about your families HAPPINESS! And Everyone thinks that everyone has it "together". Every family has its struggles too!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment