Sunday, June 1, 2014

Other than "Tots in Mind," is there any other company that makes a crib tent?




Beth G


The "Tots in Mind" crib tent doesn't have great reviews and I can't find a competitor. Any suggestions are great!


Answer
We used the crib tent, the Tots in Mind one, and I'm surprised that it got low reviews. It was great. At first, we just wanted to keep the cat out of the crib before my first child was born then to protect him from the cat if it happened to sneak in during a night feeding etc. Later, we used it to keep my son from climbing out of the crib (he started at 14 months, a little too young for us to really want to move him to a toddler bed).

I loved it. The only down sides were that the zipper was noisy and after awhile the netting started to separate from the sides because it was so tight and we used our lift up/down cribside a lot.

I was going to use it again for my second child but realized we didn't need to -- the cat would run miles before jumping in the crib with the kids as they scare him to death. But, once my daughter was a little older, I quickly found out that my daughter's pacifiers were constantly falling to the ground and it would wake her up. So, I was constantly feeling around on the floor in her dark room in the middle of the night with a screaming child. This was never a problem with the crib tent as it kept them inside.

I debated putting up the old one but decided it was too "used," there were a couple holes along the zipper, so I'd have to buy another one to be safe. But, spending all that money just for dropped pacis seemed ridiculous, so I settled on the crib shield -- no tent part, just netting around the sides. It's four pieces instead of one, holes on each corner, and she kept pulling apart the velcro. I can't tell you how many times I wondered why it wasn't made like the crib tent, which goes around everything (under the mattress, up the sides, attaches to the rails VERY securely, and then the tent part). I even debated making one exactly the same just minus the tent part and becoming a millionaire. ;)

Anyway, depending on what you need it for, I think the crib tent is a good choice. Keeps cats out, climbing kids in, pacifiers within reach of the child etc. The zipper part was a bit of a pain, but at some point, the child does become used to the noise. I haven't ever seen any other brands of crib tent type things. The closest I was able to find was the crib shield by breathable baby.

ETA: Just realized I should add...we used Cloud and Stars QuickZip sheets (link below) not regular crib sheets. This probably added a lot of benefit to the tent as I can see how using regular crib sheets would be really frustrating with the crib tent as it's very hard to take the mattress out. But, with the QuickZip sheets, if you have an accident, you just zip off the top part and zip on a fresh one. You still need to change the whole set, which is a pain, but not as often as you would have to if you use regular sheets.

Advise on buying a tent?




AriesAlway


I know theres not too much of Summer left, We're in Northeast Ohio. We did out first family camping trip the other week, and cant wait for more. We used my sisters tent and supplies basicly. Should we continue useing hers, which isnt a problem. Tent could be bigger but we manage. Our should we buy on now, or next year. I like the tents with a screen patio and found on in the Kmart flyer. What do you all think?
http://kmart.shoplocal.com/kmart/Default.aspx?action=browsepagedetail&storeid=2422215&rapid=430829&listingid=-2092975161&pretailerid=-99572
Is that a good tent, brand?
We have two kids so the large tent that can have a wall like this is perfect I thought.
Thanxs!



Answer
I checked out this tent through your link. I would purchase this tent at that price. Looks to be a good starter tent. Even if you decide you don't like it you have not invested to much. Also note that for summer camping you can piece together a great set in relatively short time buying a cooler, propane or kerosene style lanterns, stove, chairs and sleeping bags say every other payday. I would not trust this tent to sleep more than 4 though. After years of camping through 3 seasons I have found that an air mattresses gives me much better sleep at nights and it uses more space as well. You can pay a fortune for a great tent, but to get started this looks fine. Have fun with it.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment