Friday, November 22, 2013

Who still uses a Coleman fuel catalytic heater for camping?

large camping tents coleman on large-tent
large camping tents coleman image



Bobo


Does anyone still use a COLEMAN catalytic heater that burns Coleman Liquid fuel (not propane) for camping? Do you use it in a tent? How much ventilation do you provide in the tent? I'm a little worried about Carbon Monoxide if I use it in the tent.
Liquid Coleman fuel; Heater, not a cooking stove. It has a catalytic dome that glows red and provides heat. I used it in a garage with a carbon monoxide detector and the detector registered zero. I know it uses up oxygen.



Answer
Don't use this in a tent unless you have all the vents open to the tent. They are not very efficient heating devices in really cold weather in a tent. I've heard of several people who have died using those type of heaters in tents without adequate ventilation.

What i've done in the past is bought a gas powered generator and i used quartz radiant heaters when i was out camping in the mountains in the snow and sub zero temperatures.

These days i use a battery i removed from a bulldozer and use quartz heaters. Works really good for 2-3 days then i just hook up some cables to my truck battery start up and recharge the large battery for about 30 minutes every 2 or 3 days.

what do my husband and I need to go camping?




KimberlyJ


I haven't been camping since I was a kid. What equipment do I need? I don't want to spend a fortune on camping equipment, but I need to be comfortable. I am five months pregnant and feeling very sick. I think the outdoors would help me quite a bit. Any advice would be helpful thanks.


Answer
#1 most important thing.

Be comfortable.

Pick out a tent at Walmart/Kmart/Target that is large enough for one of those Coleman (or off brand) air mattresses to fit inside it. Twin size at least. The air mattress should come with (you may have to buy it seperate) battery operated blower/pump, to blow it up for you. If it rains...the 6" thick air matress will keep you up off the ground and dry...even if you have an inexpensive tent.

Try to find a shadey spot, wherever you set up your tent. Tents can get hot in the morning with the sun shining on them.

I'd say the rest ...keep as simple as you can. Setting up and taking down your camp should not the a "big" chore. If it is...your making it too hard on yourself.

My favorite time saver? I gotta have coffee in the morning. I don't mess with a perculator anymore. I buy those big pre-made coffee/filter bag things. Drop one or two in a camp pot...boil...coffee! No mess to clean up.


Keep the "camp" part of it simple. You will have more time to relax, explore or goof around.

Just my two cents...


Have fun!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment