Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Halloween costume ideas . . .?

kids tent sewing pattern on Stitches and Seams: Four More
kids tent sewing pattern image



Girl With


I know it's like, september, but I don't want to have to scramble for something the night before. I'm going to some Halloween parties and stuff, and I'm a teenager. I was wondering: do any of you have ideas that are a little more . . . stylish for Halloween? I was thinking devil (red halter top, knee-length red skirt, horns, pitchfork), greek goddess (white dress, laurel leaf crown, sandals), . . . what else? I want certain people there to see me look cute (guys, ahem ahem.)

Any other ideas???

Thank you so much!

(And please, only serious answers. Please.)



Answer
Egyptian girl with silky cloth draped around you--white with pink sash and leaves in your hair and gold armband and necklaces. I did this one year for myself and people liked it.

kitty cat with short skirt

renaissance era clothes

pebbles from Flintstones--shortish leopard thing with bone in hair

American idol and SYTYCD contestant or judge

gypsy

fairy

ladybug

pirate girl

go to sewing shop and look through all the pattern books at the back they always have a costume section ..

many ideas there..be sure to look at simplicity, McCalls and all the different companies books


I got many idea from there and from looking at other people's costumes and then embellishing and making them look better.

When my kids were little, they always won every one of the multiple contests I took them to each year (about 8-10 a year) and every time won first place, most original. Only one year, my son won third place for a costume and totally had a fit as he was never used to losing...

It was my hobby and I won over $2000 in cash and prizes...the most memorable being a tent..

The key to winning is to accessorize a lot..

Like when I did Gepetto, I used an apron with woodcutting tools, a cat, Figaro, a fish bowl (not glass) with Cleo, and a marionette I made from a doll and dressed and made look like Pinocchio.

My younger son was Pinocchio and I made a long nose and put a bird's nest with flowers at the end and a strap with school books, etc.

When I did cat in the hat with a tall hat, he carried a stuffed cat in the hat and a cat in the hat book.

When I did a toy soldier, I added a sword and made his leg into spotted horse legs and made a horse that he rode with his fake stuffed soldier legs.

When I did one costume,
I did a similar concept..I did a toilet with a plunger and brick wall and put flowers on the tank top and my son dressed like a sad looking clown (with his stuffed leg (one) hanging out looked like one leg was in the toilet and held as signthat said " goodbye cruel world".

One year, I got a big plastic butt (with kiss on it) and had him dressed in hospital gown with walker and IV

I did peter pan for my child when three months old with a cute little green cap and a soft bow with red feather arrows on his back and light green tights, green jaddedy outfit and red cord at waist.

I did Oscar the grouch with green fur and a big green trash can he wore on strap when he stopped he crouched down and it looked like he was in the trash can which had signs like go away and scram and i love trash on it. He pulled a toddler Oscar the grouch that popped in and out of the trash can.

I did three blind mice from old an pink panther costume I made and wanted to recycle and had to two big, pink stuffed mice attached and they all had sunglasses and red tipped white canes.

I did all the wizard of oz character including witch and Dorothy...Dorothy's accessories were a basket with a cute stuffed dog and red glittered shoes, and cowardly lion had curly hair and badge of courage, tin man had oil can, etc.

Won 50 dollar first prize with the 5 of us at the Ohio state fair costume fashion shows with group of 4 or more with the wizard of oz ones
.
Once did this huge project made a big pirate ship with all kinds of fish in the simulated water an hadd parrots on the ship's crowbar..all the pirate accessories, etc. and nets with lobster and stuff, it was amazing and this one won us the tent.

The most embarrasing costume for my son was a stuffed rainbow thing with hand puppets coming out of it that were leprechauns and held a pot 'o gold with gold coins...I made a sun to go around his face and had him dress in light blue shirt and tights to represent sky and he wore roller skates. He hated it and said it looked gay...hey, can't win em all (but it did win prizes)

I did a cute toddler ladybug one when one year old and a nun once when he was 2 that was very cute.

sometimes did them 2 or so a year and occasionally three as well as other relatives, so I could go on and on---we have all kinds of newspaper clippings and ribbons and trophies.

This was a great family times as we all brainstormed a lot and came up with idea...My oldest said he likes Halloween better than Christmas and it was so many great memories.

It definitely enriched our lives. I was told by a professional costume designer that I was the most creative person he ever met and I should be a costume designer as my costumes were the best he ever saw.

(and I have gotten that comment about creativity all my life..from parties to teaching to lesson plans to decorating and even to chat line messages...multiple men told me on multiple different ads that they were the best, most creative, most sensual, most funny ads they ever heard and many said to be a P.R. person or a writer..ha, but so many great memories of the Halloween creativities..

The key is in the details and accessories...if a rabbit, carry a big carrot, if a french maid, a feather duster, etc.

Sorry I didn't have any girl kids so I am not that great about girl ideas but if I wasn't needing to get to the store before closing, I'd have more time to think up stuff.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment