Monday, January 20, 2014

What campsite is best at Yosemite National Park?

kids camping gear tent on Rainfly also has a large (65
kids camping gear tent image



Jacqueline


My family and I are planning a week long camping trip in July/August, but we are not quite sure what site is best? Or what places we should sees. We would also like to do some fishing. We are all in our 20s to 30s and some of us have young children(4-7) children. This will be our first time at Yosemite.


Answer
You need to book a site NOW for a camping trip in July/August. They noramlly sell out the day they start reservations for the month. I'm assuming you are tent camping, so I would reccomend staying in any of the pines campgrounds (north, upper or lower pines) on the valley floor. These are located near the river and are only a short walk/shuttle ride to curry village where there are ranger programs, places to eat and showers. It is also not far from the village where the visitors center, market, and yosemite falls are and, the happy isles nature center is a short shuttle ride as well.

The nature center is a great thing to see if you have kids, especially younger ones. It has some great information on wildlife as well as hands on displays. The visitors center was recently redone and has really interesting displays on the history of the park. Some of these are also geared towards children. The ranger programs are great in the park. They happen almost every evening at several different places on the valley floor and ranger led kids programs are also held most afternoons.

There are some great hikes that can be done, with or without kids. Lower Yosemite Falls is a flat one mile paved loop trail and if you go in July, there should be some water left. Also Vernal and Nevada Falls trail is great because you can go as far as you want and its totally worth it. The people with young kids might only go to the base of Vernal falls, while those without can continue on. Mirror Lake is also a nice trail, about a two mile loop and if you go in the evening you will see more wildlife. Any other questions, feel free to let me know.

What kind of stuff do I need if I go camping?




amber


I'm planning a surprise camping trip for my boyfriend and I since he's never been. I have to plan early so that I cant budget all the things I need to buy for it over time. I haven't been camping since I was a kid so I forget all the things I'll need to bring. Obviously I need a tent, which I happen to have, and sleeping bags. What else should I bring? Also does anyone know any brands or specific sleeping bags with room for two people, or that can be zipped together? We will be car camping for sure so hauling in stuff isn't a problem, we have a truck. Thank you to anyone to answers :)


Answer
Use a checklist for the gear you need,
http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/family-camping-checklist.html

Prepare for the season,
http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/winter/wintcamp.shtml

Choose a destination
http://www.totalescape.com/

Make reservations, some destinations get booked six months in advance, like national parks.
http://www.reserveamerica.com/
http://www.recreation.gov/
http://woodalls.com/

Buying camping gear during the off season will be a bit troubling as most places that carry it do so seasonally and what they have will be at full price and in limited quantity. Walmart would be the low price leader for the type of gear you need even though their prices would not be at their seasonal lowest They do have winter rated sleeping bags made by Coleman that would zip together. If you have a truck I suggest a camper shell at the minimum and you could shack up in the back of that. weather being no issue at all then.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment