Saturday, March 15, 2014

Help with outdoor fabrics...?




scorpiowom


I am repainting a metal outdoor table and recovering the seats of the matching chairs. I really want a black and white pattern, but all the outdoor fabrics I am finding are either just single colors or they are ridiculously expensive and have to be special ordered. Are there any treatment products out there to use on cottons or other fabrics that might work or any online resources for ordering cheaper outdoor fabrics?


Answer
I had a bistro set with 4 chair seats I wanted to recover inexpensively. I bought a large (52" x 120") vinyl-coated fabric outdoor table cloth for less than $12 (it was either at TJ Maxx or the sale bin at Pier One) and cut the covers from it. I had more than enough left over to make matching placemats, too. The fabric seemed to hold up well to weather and sunlight. (don't know for how long -- I sold the set after 2 years.)

I've also covered outdoor cushions with just regular fabric. Drapery yard goods or even fabric shower curtains are cheap sources -- I've even used brightly printed bed sheets (that's what is covering my porch couch right now.) I wrap the cushions with plastic first, so they won't soak through if the chairs get left in the rain, then put the fabric covers over that. They can be removed and machine washed.

If you have a choice, pick polyester or other fabrics instead of cotton or nylon. Poly is more resistant to dying so the dyes that are used for polyester tend to hold up better to fading in the sun. It also resists staining and mildew better than cotton or nylon, at least in my experience.

You can also get a paint-on or spray tent waterproofing liquid at some large camping good stores, but it will tend to discolor some fabrics and it really does not make them completely waterproof.

What does your bug out bag consist of?




Winobot Du


I have decided to put together a bug out bag for a SHTF situation, and figured it would be a good idea to see what other people have so i dont forget something that would be useful. I have two US surplus day packs i will probably fill up. What do you have in yours and what is the bag?


Answer
I use many duffel bags that i got for free, and one wooden ammo case that I refinished. I also have a few unmarked cardboard boxes.
my BOB is something I stick into the minivan and get out of town asap. I have no plans to hike out of town, I live in the middle of a large city.

12 MREs handpicked, all my favorite menus
32 bottles of water- Kirkland 16.9 FL oz each
various meal bars from the supermarket
tablets for purifying water
funny purple tablets for cooking with (military surplus), I bought lots and lots.
mountain house dehydrated foods, 36 units, favorites only
water filter
2x collapsible 2L water bags
2x military OD green plastic canteens
titanium knife-fork-spoon utensil
as many matchbooks as I can cram into a 1 gallon zip lock bag
several cheap Bic lighters
metal camping cooking pot + lid
collapsible cooking rack that I made from aluminum

$200 in cash, $10s and $20s
one roll silver quarters (face value = $10, worth $130)
1 carton Grand Prix menthol cigarettes - for trade,sale, or personal use.
1 bag rolling tobacco, lots of paper slips for rolling. - for sale, trade, or personal use

a 3.2 million volt stun gun and LED flashlight
AK bayonet, Yugo style
mini crowbar, 18"
a FAK (I call it a field aid kit) I'm still adding stuff to it

3x15 min road flares
2x30 min road flares
3x coast guard approved signal flares
Camping Gaz piezoelectric 80W blue butane lamp
2x blue butane bottles (for the lamp)
1 wooden ammo case that holds lots and lots of glow sticks, and anything else fragile. its has tons of padding, it was designed to take a 33 foot fall without any glow sticks breaking. 33feet is because that's the highest I test the case falling. I threw it off the roof to the cold, hard concrete driveway below. I think its 33 feet, I'm really bad at math.
1 5x night vision monocular, waterproof
20 CR123 batteries
1x LED Lenser P7 flashlight,
3x AAA battery packs
1x trusty old Ti83 calculator sealed in plastic (to make water proof)
1- 4 man Coleman tent
2 sleeping bags (in case I bring someone with me)

all local area maps
spare battery pack (external, 12V) for GPS with hand crank charger (something I rigged up)
12 BLM maps covering everything within 150 miles of my house
1 really obsolete 1978 detailed street map book of LA and Orange county - something my parents uses, i have it in case the gps breaks. I am not buying a new one, even if they're still in print.
1 book detailing wilderness survival
1 book detailing auto repair and troubleshooting
1 clear plastic ruler
1 book detailing medial aid
4 compasses- in case one broke.

for defensive purposes, my vehicle may be attacked, ambushed, or mobbed depending on the situation, I must be prepared for that.
a simple cardboard box holds 10x 30rd AK magazines, 12 clips of russian light ball for my mosin nagant, 5 clips of Czech AP for my mosin nagant, 35- 20 ga #3 buck, 50- 20 ga 3/4 oz slugs, orange and grey smoke emitters, two bricks of .22lr, various fireworks or firecrackers I believe may be used, and two machetes- one cheap walmart one for chopping and one expensive Ontario knife one for sawing. that would be put up front next to me between my passenger.
the few cardboard boxes part of my BOB holds even more ammo. 960 rounds of 7.62x39mm, 370 rounds 7.62x54mmr, 3660 rounds .22lr, 182 #7.5 birdshot, and many, many, many "firecrackers".

the BOB is to get out of the city into the forests and be able to live out there for at least 2 months with occasional ventures into the city for more supplies and such.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment