Wednesday, March 12, 2014

What are the major accessories I will need for camping besides a tent and Air Mattress?




xylem


I am a first time camper, yea I know it is sad but I have just purchased my coleman tent and air mattress and I was just wondering what other esential camping accessories I will need? Also, any camping tips would be most helpful! Thanks


Answer
My hubby and I just started tent camping with friends two years ago, and it took us a while to figure out everything we needed (btw, good start getting an air mattress!). Oh, and don't forget to waterproof your tent BEFORE the trip with waterproofing spray sold at sporting goods stores!

Here's my abbreviated packing list. You have some items already (obviously), but I've highlighted items you might still need to purchase:

SHELTER:

-Tent
-Tarp to Go Under Tent (should be the same size as tent base, not much bigger or you'll have to fold it under. This keeps the tent bottom dry, and you don't want rain collecting on the tarp and rolling under!)
-Air mattress
-Air mattress pump
-Sleeping Bags / Pillows
-Extra Blankets (1 per person in case of chilly weather)
-Beach Towel (for when you track mud all over your tent)
-Lantern (battery-operated) to hang in tent
-Foldable Chairs / Lawn Chairs (to sit around fire)
-Rope or Line to hang items to dry on - like wet towels


FOOD:

-Hand Axe (to chop fire wood)
-Long-reach lighters
-Fire-starting kindling twigs (buy them from camping supply stores - they're wood chips soaked in some fire-starting chemical)
-Pie Irons (to cook food in over the fire - these are ESSENTIAL!)
-Campfire Fork (to roast weiners, marshmallows on)
-Food (should include basics like eggs, bread, peanut butter, deli meats, cheese, butter, hot dogs, s'mores makings, pop, juice, tea, coffee, ketchup, mustard, brownie mix, pizza sauce, pepperoni, potatoes, oatmeal, beef stew, trail snacks, chips, popcorn, etc.)
-Campfire Cooking Pot
-LARGE Cooler with ice
-Egg Holder Storage Case (designed for camping trips)
-Plastic Utensils, Cups, Paper Plates
-Garbage Bags
-Giant Ziploc Bags (to place singed pie irons in when packing to come home)
-Sharp Knife
-Rubbermaid Tote to wash dishes in
-Dish Soap
-5-6 Dish Towels
-Campfire Glove (heatproof gloves that allow you to pick up hot logs off the fire, or hot pans)
-Mugs (for coffee & tea)
-Kettle to boil water (should be campfire safe)
-Bottled water - large quantities
-Picnic Table Cloth (campsite picnic tables are dirrrrrty!)
-Can Opener
-Travel Cutting Board
-Aluminum Foil & Ziploc Bags
-Non-Stick Cooking Spray

CLOTHING / HYGIENE / SAFETY:

-Standard clothes
-Extra socks, 1 pair extra walking shoes
-Rain coat, poncho, or garbage bags
-Bug Spray
-Sunscreen
-Usual Hygiene Products (forget shampoo if it's a short trip - you're allowed to be dirty when tent camping!)
-First Aid items (bandaids, benadryl, calamine lotion, antiseptic cream, aspirin, immodium AD, etc.)
-Hand Soap
-Towels (in case you get soaked in rain)
-Hand Sanitizer

FUN / OTHER:

-Deck of Cards / Travel Boardgame
-Camera / Extra Batteries
-Flashlights / Extra Batteries
-Fishing Pole / Tackle Box
-Lots of Cash to buy firewood near campsite - it's expensive!
-Wallet, ID, Cell Phone

Phew! It seems like a lot, but skip here and there and you'll be wishing you had these items when you're at the campsite. It's worth filling up the car with Rubbermaid Bins filled with this stuff. Oh - don't forget Rubbermaid Bins to put all this stuff in! You'll need to keep your possession and food waterproof if it rains!

Have fun!

tent camping with air conditioning!!!?




Amy B


Need advise. We are looking for a large tent to camp in for 2+ weeks. We also want to have air conditioning in the tent.

It will be in July so the weather will be VERY hot.

What is the largest tent availble that will feel more like a vacation home and can have a portable airconditioning system connected??

thanks
thanks to all that have responded...YES I know what real camping is, i have backpacked many sections of the AT and many other weekend trips.

we go camping every year for over a week and white water kayak everyday and return to camp every night to hang out with the other kayakers. THIS year I will be 6 months pregnant when we are camping, I won't be able to paddle most days (unless I am taking newbies down a very easy river), so I will be at camp during the day and prefer NOT to boil the baby in my belly when it is over 90 degrees in North Carolina. i just figured that if they can put an air conditioner on a pop up camper then I should be able to find a very small unit to very a tent cool. The camp site has power and trees for shade.



Answer
On hand I enjoy survival camping from time to time where I take the bare minumum and see what I'm made of. At other times it's nice to pamper myself a bit. I doubt that most of the posters here been pregnant. I haven't, but I have supported my wife through two.

My love for camping with modern conveniences started in boyscouts, when my friends and I took a cooler full of pop and candy bars and a boom box to scout camp. We were the envy of all the other boys. In college it was the mattresses off our beds, sheets and all, that we threw in the back of the pickup truck and took up into the mountains. There is nothing like sleeping under the stars in your own bed!

This summer I am taking my pregnant wife (5 mos) camping for a few days. She will have shared access to a trailer with A/C, but I am interested in putting A/C in the tent too, so she will have her own private space.

The best solution I have found is from this website:
http://www.deltablues.net/camping2.html

This guy seems to have the right mentality, cheap, low maintenence, simple, safe, and able to run for an extended period. It might be too expensive for my three day trip, but might be perfect for yours.

The key ingredients:
1. low amp ac unit - no more that 6 or 7 amps (author lists it at about $155)
2. a high amp (15 plus amps) extension cord (I bought 50 feet for about $20, they are more expensive because they can handle more load, important for your safety as the author notes)
3. Duct tape

In case the weblink doesn't work, he has placed the ac unit on bricks at his rear tent door, zipped it up and kept it all together with duct tape. The low amp unit and high amp cord keeps the cord cool and reduces fire risk. The ac unit on its lowest setting is plenty to cool the tent.

I echo the other posters concern about theft. Tents are tough to secure. One idea off the top of my head, if you are worried about someone swiping your ac unit, is to drive a large metal stake (like an electrical grounding stake) a couple of feet into the ground. (You will probably need a small sledge hammer, like an 8 pounder.) Then you could bolt a chain or cable (heavy duty grounding cable might work) to the ac unit and to the stake. You may have to drill holes in the ac unit housing, but I imagine it would have mounting holes in it already. You could use security bolts or locking bolts that tighten easily but are difficult to remove. The materials should cost less than $10 at a hardware store. The stake will be difficult for anyone to remove (including you at the end of your stay, you might want to bring a shovel to dig it out).
If your tent or powersource happens to be hit by lightning your ac unit will be grounded too! Bonus!

Happy camping and best of luck/blessings with your pregancy.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment