Tuesday, May 27, 2014

How to make/sew a Tunnel/Dome/Curved shape Tent (or other idea's) for Top Bunk Bed.?

Q. I NEED to make tents for my kids bunk bed.
The bottom bunk is a piece if cake.
I need to know how to make a tent for the top bunk.
I can sew no problem.
The problem i'm having is the poles... I don't know what to look for, what they are called, anything about flexible poles... Nothing!!
i have several idea's (please look at the links).
And NO i do not want it hanging from the ceiling downwards. Lol!
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51BJP6Eqg1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
http://bedzine.com/blog/bed-designs/bed-classic/bunk-bed-with-tent-and-curtain/
http://bunkybusiness.com/maxi11.L.jpg
ALSO... I LOVE THE IDEA OF THIS... AGAIN MY PROBLEM IS THE POLES... WHAT TO LOOK FOR AND THE FLEXIBILITIES OF IT...
http://dyijw76xix8sx.cloudfront.net/products/coaster-gi-pat-loft-bed/gipat_tentandslide.png


Answer
I'd suggest going to a camping goods store; tent poles can be purchased separate from the tents themselves - what you're looking for is "hoop-tent" poles. REI (http://www.rei.com) might be able to give you some information, or

Another option might be to go to a fabric store; believe it or not, some REALLY "old-timey" fabric stores still carry the stuff that was used for hoop skirts! Places that do work such as making vintage costumes would also have it - one of the best references for that might be Colonial Williamsburg in Williamsburg, Virginia.

Lastly, if the fabric that you're planning to use isn't heavy, you might check with gardening centers. They carry some stuff that is ordinarily used to make a "tent" over tender vegetable plants.

Hopefully one of those possibilities will do the job!

Does anyone have a bunk bed? Do you like it? Do your kids enjoy it? ?




sparkles


I bought one the other day and I want to feel good about my investment. I thought it would be a space saver and fun for my kids.
The ladder is actually on each side of the bunk. so there is no ladder hanging off, they will climb up and down the sides.



Answer
they are a great space saver, and great if you have 2 kids sharing a room, or they have a freind for an overnight

A couple cautions: ceiling fans & bunk beds do not mix. I'm a designer and just this summer we had to remove fans from kids rooms cause they got too close.

Also if your kids a restless sleeper, they could roll out of the top bunk. Also make sure the ladder is super secure.

Some fun things to do: tuck sheets or curtain panels under the top mattress to make a "tent" or fort for the bottom bunk. If its for one kid, the top could be solely for sleeping and the bottom banked out with pillows and stuffed animal for playing.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment