Saturday, October 5, 2013

How to clean a camping tent that smells like mildew?

large multi-room camping tents on ... Swing 2011 | Pretoria | Camping | Junk Mail Classifieds | 17259736
large multi-room camping tents image



Stella


I haven't used my camping tent for quite a long time and it now smells like mildew. How to get rid of this bad awful smell?


Answer
First, you need get a tote and fill it with clean water then add pine-sol in it. After that, you can place the tent, rain fly, tent poles, tent bag, stakes and stake bag in to the water, and leave them soak in the pine-sol solution for an hour or so. One hour is enough for the camping tent to absorb the aroma of the pine-sol solution, and then you will get a fresh smelling tent.

After the tent has soaked in the pine-sol solution for one hour, now you should take it out of the access water and reassemble the tent in your yard. Use water hose to pray the tent off and you should pay particular attention to the fabric on the bottom. Be sure it is thoroughly rinsed.

The last step is to dry the camping tent. You should let the tent air dry both inside and outside. Itâs important to wait until the tent and all the contents are fully dry before you pack it back up. Otherwise, the mildew will return. If you have a large family tent or multi-room tent, then you should wait patiently. If the weather is not good and you cannot dry the tent outside, you should place the tent in your garage or even inside your home or basement to let it dry. One thing you need to keep in mind is never dry your camping tent in a dryer because this could reduce the lifetime of the tent.

When looking for a new tent, is there anything I should consider? What brands should I stay away from?




Kerri P


I have heard recommendations to purchase 2 tents. However, I am a single mom and we all need to be in one tent. I currently have a smaller 6 man tent and it is not big enough for myself, 4 children and our gear. The youngest is 1 and he requires more than usual. The tent will get quite a bit of use but only during the late spring and summer. A multi room tent is fine as long as the inner dividers are removable. In a perfect outdoor world I would love a tent with a full rain cover as well as storage vestibules (though these are not a must). I prefer to use an air matress as I need my sleep to manage four young ones on a camping trip :) Again, this is not a must. I would greatly appreciate any guidance as I know I will be spending over 200 and I can not afford for the tent not to last. Thank you!


Answer
With the possible of exception of Cabella's, stay away from store brand private label tents!! They are not made to the same specifications and quality control standards as name brand tents.

Columbia, Eureka, Coleman, Kelty, Marmot, The North Face etc are all good quality tents, some being better than others but also more costly.

You only mention the age of your youngest child but I would suggest that for 1 adult and 5 growing children, you get a tent rated for no less than 8 people. Larger is even better.When the manufacturers optimistically rate a tent, their rating leaves on room for additional gear or storage unless the tent does have a vestibule or two.

If you are not in a hurry to make this purchase, wait until the week right before Memorial Day to purchase a new tent. That is the when traditionally the chain stores run their largest camping ads to kick off the "camping season". (I know, I know.............people camp all year long!! )




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment