Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Are there other social organizations similar to Peace Corps or Ameri Corps?

kids beach tents uk on ... BEACH TENT SHELTER OUTDOOR WIND BREAK BREAKER PET KIDS ANIMAL UV COVER
kids beach tents uk image



iu_hoosier





Answer
Hundreds. Lots of them offer short term "Working vacations"; you pay them, they send you somewhere to paint an orphanage or tend to elephants or tutor poor kids, instead of lying on the beach ordering Mai Tais from the fellow in a white jacket.

This is the text file I paste to Q like yours. There's a bit of duplication.

If you use YA's advanced search option for the words "Peace Corps" you'll get some sponsored links. Many will expect you (or your friends and neighbors) to bear some or all of the cost.

The Peace Corps gives you three months of training. You'll learn your host country's language, history, religion(s) and culture, plus get some vocational training. (I learned Malay, Iban and Hokkien, then practice taught for six weeks, under the supervision of a master teacher, for instance.) They provide dental and medical care, a living allowance and some after-service placement counsling. They pay for your air fare over and back. It would not be cost-effective to do all that for someone who stayed on the job for a couple of weeks.

If you want to pay your own way, provide your own medical / dental insurance and already speak the language, there are a number of organizations that will place you for as little as a week. Some people take two-week "working" vacations as volunteers and have a ball. Some don't even require you to speak the language. (Not a problem if you volunteer inside the USA).

Here are two alternatives:

http://www.vso.org.uk/
(Based in the UK, takes volunteers from anywhere, has a six-month "programme" for people 18 - 25) I knew VSO volunteers when I was a Peace Corps Volunteer in 1971. They are a solid, well-known organization. These folks are sometimes known as the "British Peace Corps". They give you a small, modest salary, pay for your housing and medical insurance, and pay for your air fare home. You work in one of 30 countries. The normal term of service is a year.


Student Conservation Association
http://www.thesca.org/
My daughter spent a summer with them. You pay for your food and air fare, they loan you a tent. You spend 4-6 weeks doing manual labor in a national park in the USA with a great bunch of other kids. They will take volunteers as young as 16. Your crew chief will be a young adult, and a ranger looks in on you every couple of days.

Here are some others have mentioned. I know nothing else about them:
http://www.globalvolunteers.org
http://www.earthwatch.org
http://www.unitedplanet.org
http://www.volunteerabroad.com

This is the a long but comprhensive page about volunteering. It has a list of reputable organizations, but you should read the advice, too:

http://www.coyotecommunications.com/volunteer/international.html

Should I move to America Fromm the UK?




catelin


I am terrified at the thought of snakes and poisonous spiders as even things like earwigs make me shiver in the UK. I really want to go to university/college in the USA. Are there any reassurances or views from Americans which will ease my mind. I actually don't mind the thought of bears or wolves, it's just like snakes and insects. I went to Florida for two weeks and was scared of the ghekos which were everywhere. I just don't know what to do. It has been my dream for a long time to move to America but in Florida, I was on edge all the time. Help please. Thank you xx
I I got an ESTA in July 11 for Florida, I think that is a 2 year one. Not sure. My grandads sister lives in Ohio and my NAND niece lives in Canada. Have I got any hope in moving? Answers are appreciated xx



Answer
Not all areas of the U.S. have poisonous snakes and spiders. You'll have more of a problem with that if you live in the southeast or southwest part of the country. I have lived in the Midwest and northeast (New England), and while there are plenty of spiders, they are harmless. They aren't extremely attractive, but they get rid of the little bugs that scare my kids. So now I leave the spiders in my house alone! Also, a few people mentioned gun laws. I agree that some of them are crazy, but keep in mind that not every state has the same gun laws. States like California, Connecticut, and Colorado are much more strict. I have never seen a gun (except on a police officer) or been a victim of a crime in all my 34 years of life here. You're worried about bears and wolves? Animals like that are supposed to be fairly common in Ohio, where I am, but I have never seen one outside of a zoo. The worst I have seen is a coyote and raccoon. Unless you'll be living in a tent in the wilderness, this should not be a concern.

You have more important things to consider if you want to live in the USA. Visa? It's hard to get! You can come here as a student easiest. A lot of people also think that living some where warmer or with beaches is the best thing, but that's not necessarily true. This is a truly diverse country (people, weather, and landscapes) so don't limit yourself to what TV makes you believe it's like.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment