Saturday, December 21, 2013

How to pack for camping and have everything organized?

children camping tents on Great Camping Tips and Advice, To Make Your Camping Experience The ...
children camping tents image



rocio


we enjoy the outdoors and camping, we have bought many items during the years and now we have many things, and they get everywhere in the car during the trip. How do you pack kitchen items: paper plates, utensils, paper towel? bed items (they are bulky)? mosquito repellent bottles ( they love me )I usually put kitchen stuff in a plastic container, but to reach the bottom I have to take everything on top. Any creative ideas? tips? I may buy a space saver bag for the bedding, has anybody tried that.


Answer
For car-camping I use a medium-size Rubbermaid Action Packer bin with sheets of plastic (lexan? stuff from Home Depot) cut into 11" tall dividers and duct-taped into place for my kitchen box. There's room in the box for my pots and pans, three propane canisters, plastic plates and bowels, napkins, trash bags and space for most of my dry foods. On the very top I lay my large griddle, cutting board, campfire grate, collapsible sink, axe, folding saw and 1/2 rolls of paper towels. I have a mesh organizer I made myself and screwed to the inside of the bin's lid to hold my cooking and eating utensils.

I can then strap my Coleman stove and el-cheapo propane grill on top of this. When I get to camp, all the stuff on the top of the bin comes out and generally stays out until it's time to pack-up and go, and the stuff underneath is stored vertically instead of flat, so there's no digging for buried items. The lid, with the utensils attached, also comes out and stays on the mesh shelf under my camp kitchen unit (small folding table with grill shelf).

Generally speaking, each person -- child or adult -- is responsible for carrying their own clothing and sleeping kit. All our sleeping bags compress well into their stuff sacks, and we use self-inflating mattresses that also roll-up tight. The sleeping bags go inside each person's duffel bag or backpack on top of their clothing and personal items, and the mattress gets strapped outside to the top or side. Clothing is organized into dry bags to protect from any weather or mishaps, and for organization. We also use one of the drybags full of clothes with a pillow case instead of a pillow. Each person is also responsible for their own toiletries, which go in a small nylon bag stored the outside pocket of the duffel bag or backpack, along with sun block, insect repellent, flashlight or headlight with extra batteries.

If you are using regular bedding you'll find that sleeping bags will take a lot less space and weight, particularly if you use a compression bag (just remember to loosen the compression bag during storage at home so the insulation doesn't go flat). Our bags compress down to about 9x12". As mentioned above, we put a pillow case over our clothing's dry bags to use as a pillow, or you can get inflatable pillows. Also, camp towels or large "Sham Wow" type towels take up much less room than regular household towels but work just as well, and dry more quickly.

The tent, 2 LED lanterns, 2 bag chairs, roll-up table, dining tarp with poles go into one large duffel. This sometimes leaves one or two loose chairs to sling over your shoulder.

If necessary, I can stack the two coolers, Rubbermaid bin, stove and grill onto a folding luggage cart and drag it to the campsite on one trip, then return and strap the water container, large duffel, and camp kitchen to the cart for my second trip.

How can I decorate my preschool classroom in a camping theme?




katie


I teach preschool, and I have four year olds. The theme for next semester in my class is camping and the outdoors and I need ideas of ways to incorporate that into my classroom. My class is kind of small, but I need any ideas anyone has to help. I love my kids and really want to make this as fun and special or them as I can!!!


Answer
You might want to make your reading corner out of a little pup-tent. If you put a kid size sleeping bag in the pup-tent a child can lie down while reading (and still be visible- which is always a good thing.

You can also use one or two camp chairs (especially if you get the kid size ones) for them to sit in while they read.Add this to the campfire idea mentioned by another reader and you have a whole camp site.

Check with your local free-cycling group (there are a lot of these groups on Yahoo Groups) for free sources for some of these items. You can also go to Goodwill, or Thrift Shops. That way you can amaze the children without breaking the bank.

If you are allowed to, you can make some trees out of twisted butcher paper, (large carpet rolls are also an alternative). Then you could fasten stuffed animals like raccoons or owls in the tree's branches.

You could also try to find some bulletin board sets that go with your theme to add continuity to the room.The animal friends calendar set below is one possibility. And you could post the kids names on the bears in canoes accents under a heading that reads something like

Miss _____________'s Happy Campers


Good luck with the new school year!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment