Monday, December 30, 2013

Has anyone here ever driven up through the interior of Alaska to Prudhoe Bay?

kids tents canada on Tent For Kids
kids tents canada image



Daisy is a


I have a friend who is planning this trip with his four kids...seems like an amazing and insane adventure.

Is it possible? Inadvisable? It will be in June and July.

Any particular dangers they should be aware of? Pardon my naivete, but will it be very cold at night? They are planning on traveling with a tent trailor. Will the polar bears get them? Should he carry a gun? His children are 6, 7, 9 and 10.

I will pass any of your advice along.



Answer
I have done section of that trip, and there is some insanely beautiful
country out there!

Well he should get The Milepost
http://milepost.com/
And do his homework.

Also he will need a good basic car repair kit and more then one spare tire. A tow rope, jumper cables, belts, plugs, air filter, the ability to carry water, and possibly extra fuel. It is a road but you still need to be prepared to care for yourself the entire time you are out there. There will be no emergency response services readily available.

Polar bears are only located in the most northern areas, so it is unlikely he will even see one, let alone be threatened bu one. Black bear and brown bears are found throughout the state. SO he should read up on camping in bear country.
As for the gun, well he can not bring it through Canada if he is driving, and so it would have to be shipped to a licensed dealer in Alaska (Bullshooter in Tok). But I do not recommend caring a gun unless that is something you are well trained for and comfortable with. Especially traveling with kids, unless he is already regularly using it and knowledgeable to travel with it, I would stick to bear spray and a lot of common sense.

It will be chilly at night, but not the 'cold' people associate with Alaska winters.
Here is a bit about the climate in the different regions of Alaska
http://climate.gi.alaska.edu/

Of course if this is the plan, I would hope that they are doing all this research, and are aware of how big Alaska is
http://www.tongass-seis.net/media/tong_USA.html

Will be aware that there are no facilitys or services for miles and miles and miles, and that where there are they are limited and expensive. There is no lodging on most of the trip, and limited seasonal availability. Even in summer there can be road closures and delays, so you need to have enough resources to take care of yourself unassisted for days at a time. Also you will most likely be out of cell phone and internet for most of the trip.

This is something that can be done, but you do need to make sure you know what you are getting into. And do not expect it to be an easy trip. Talk to a mechanic with some knowledge of the road as far as what to bring for your vehicle, you will need to do all your own maintenance and tire changes.

Other thoughts pop to mind:
Be prepared to entertain your kids, there are no stores or amusement parks. Along with cell and internet service I am pretty sure your out of radio range most of the time too.
Watch out for bug game in the road, they won't watch for you. And hitting one will end your trip.
Mosquitoes can be pretty brutal, bring good big dope.

How can I actually start doing the things I want to do?




Accidental


I feel like I am wasting my youth away. I am 22 years old and getting married next year. We plan on having kids. So I kinda want to have fun while I am still in my twenties. There are so many things I dream of doing, but I won't do them I'm always afraid of something. I am afraid to spend money, I am afraid to leave the ones I love for extended periods of time, and I am scared of getting sick.

I want to travel the world. I have a dream that I could visit my family in Germany who I have not actually physically met before. We've talked, but over the computer and phone. I would love to visit them and stay for a month in Europe spending much time with relatives and travelling to other countries as they are all fairly close together.

I want to train and eventually bike across Canada.

I want to learn another language, not just speak English lol.

I want to learn yoga.

I want to volunteer to help those in need. Elderly, homeless or children and families in Africa.

I want to be a confident person and make a positive impact on those around me.

I want to do all these things, but I can't seem to put my thoughts into action. I am scared of spending too much money on travelling and I am scared to be away from my loved ones here at home. I am scared of biking across Canada, as much of the time would be spent staying in a tent. and I am afraid of getting attacked by psychopaths or bears.

Am I being irrational? How can I start making progress??
I have a lot of family living all across Canada so I think it would make it a great experience because I would end up seeing so much of my family along the way



Answer
First, pick one thing to focus on. If you're too frightened to bike across Canada, wait for another time for that. It doesn't have to be right now, as you're still very young. Perhaps it would be best to start small, and work your way up to the bigger, more fun things.
Next, make a list. And I don't mean one similar to what you've posted; I mean a long, very detailed list. I suggest using SMART goals (Smart, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, Timely). They are rather easy to follow. To begin your list, try to get five short-term goals (within one year) and three long-term goals (over one year). This way, you have a foundation for what you want.
Now, look at your financials. How well off are you at the moment? Do you have enough extra to spend on fun things, such as games or dates? If you do, you'll want to cut back on those fun things, just a little. Say ten dollars a week. That's forty dollars a month. Now subtract forty dollars from your overall income on a monthly basis--it's not very much, is it? If you make less than that, then hold five dollars a week, or even one. If you are aiming for one of the bigger goals, however, it may serve best to hold more money back, or even sell some of your unneeded things. Do you REALLY need that really fancy lamp in the living room, or can you survive with a cheap twenty-dollar one? Spring cleaning is a lot of fun when you think of how much money you can make!
My biggest advice to make sure you do not lose your motivation. Put sticky-notes up around your house, saying "You can do it!", or "Think of your family in Canada/Germany!" Considering you appear to be somewhat family-oriented, I suggest the latter a great deal. Also, talk to your family about the matter if you decide to take trips out their way. Do this frequently, to ensure that you constantly have their encouragement in your mind.
I hope that this is at least helpful to you. I know it has been to me! They've helped me procure a wonderful opportunity to travel to the United Kingdom this summer.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment