Thursday, December 5, 2013

What to do in Minneapolis, Minnesota -- and the surrounding area?

children outdoor tents on play house play tents play houses play tents are stimulating
children outdoor tents image



Happymom13


My husband and our kids (boys ages 4 and 7) are considering a trip to Minnesota this summer. We have family in Pine City (about an hour north of Minneapolis) that we would be seeing. Any ideas for outdoor and indoor attractions? We usually are tent campers, but since we'll be flying to MN, I think we'll look into renting a cabin. Thanks for the suggestions!


Answer
Bandana Square, and the Minnesota Model Train Museum tcmrm.org in St. Paul
Como Park Zoo and Conservatory... free zoo!!
Mall of America...or the Park @ MOA the indoor amusement park in the mall.
Science museum
Children's Museum

How much would this type of house setup cost?




FredBaguet


OK, this is going to sound really kind of weird, but here goesâ¦
I've always had a "dream house" since I was very little. With my weird upbringing, I've developed a bunch of personality quirks that I would want incorporated into this house. Now at this stage in my life, it's time for me to get a house. I'm thinking about custom building one, you'll see why.
Here are the specifications.
First, I'm assuming I'm having a family in this house, although it just might be two. But I'm preparing for up to 5 people, I guess.
The most important thing is for there not to be many small creatures around. Yeah, this sounds weird, but I just have a phobia of scorpions, snakes, spiders, slugs, and insects (a few insects, e.g. ants and flies, are OK, but I hate most insects). What's a geographical location (preferably in the US) that satisfies that characteristic? I know some of you might say I'm being controlled by my phobia, and yes I am. But I want to enjoy life and I can't enjoy life with those things around. I fell into a well when I was little (yes, I know, Batman, whatever) and there were tons of slugs and insects and spiders down there and I've never recovered.
Now, the stuff I would actually have in the house. I don't like going far from my house, not because I mind heat/cold or exercise, but because I just really hate driving. So I'm planning a sort of athletic complex. This would consist of three things: a small pool, perhaps with a cheap waterslide for kids. I would want this to be indoor, because indoor pools are way better. A small indoor climbing wall (I love climbing), maybe 10 feet high and 20 feet across.. And, most importantly (I'm a serious runner) a short outdoor track. Maybe one of those 200m ones, either circling the house or just outside it, or, if it's a bigger house than I'm anticipating, attached to it. If it's outside, as it probably would be, a tent would be over it so that it doesn't get super cold or super hot.
Yes, I know this is all very complicated and probably expensive. Money's not really a huge object, but I just want ballpark figures. That's why I'm not going to an agent, this probably wouldn't materialize until several years from now, just getting ballpark figures.



Answer
OK, I'm up for your challenge. I live and CA and HI. HI does not have snakes [technically it has one that is more the size of a small worm but it is classified as a reptile], it does not have scorpions, very few insects, has a centipede, has a brown widow spider. It does have slugs. But all in all very few insects. CA does have rattlesnakes in certain areas but they are very shy, various assortment of brown recluse and black widow spiders, very few mosquito's, mild ant population in most places.

HI has a very mild climate so you can jog on your track although you won't need an indoor pool as the climate year round is so mild. Similarly coastal CA has a mild climate although the coastal breeze makes for some cool evenings and by my standards, cold winters where you want to heat your pool and maybe enclose it. Public schools in HI are not great so factor in private schools.

Not a lot of driving to do on the Big Island - it is an island for goodness sake. Every October there is an Ironman triathlon you can train for. The Big Island does have VOG, a volcanic gas that the trade winds scatter.

Both states can have earthquakes and the Big Island of Hawaii is one living and very active volcano.

Climbing walls can be put anywhere so that is very flexible.

But really, where are your friends and family and support group? If you have children and a spouse or partner you will want family to be accessible. In Hawaii you will either be isolated or you will need guest quarters to host family. Southern CA has a mild climate and better access for airlines unless your people can charter. I recommend San Diego coastal as relatively less crowded and very few insects which are easy to control with a pest service. Ditto pest service in HI. Land sufficient to host a track along coastal CA is pricey.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment