Friday, February 21, 2014

Does anyone have any tips for simple camping?




Stacy


What I mean is, my family really likes to camp, but I do find the whole process exhausting. There is so much to pack and haul with us in order to cook, etc. Sometimes I wonder if I am doing something wrong. Does anyone have any ideas about how to simplify the process so that we can enjoy it that much more?


Answer
WE like to try and camp 1-2 nights a week in the winter, but it really cuts into time.
Here are some things I do at home:

I have an action packer that is our 'camp kitchen' a trip to the local second hand store for some pots, pans and utensils, and such. I keep them packed together with the camp coffee pot, fire starting gear, tool kit for the camp stove (which is packed separate) small sewing / repair kit, candle lantern, and first aid kit. I can replace items like TP as it gets low. You will know what your family regularly uses, but basically the idea is if I grab that one box I have everything I need to set up a camp for the night. Plus if you store your camping gear in the cases you travel with them then you just cut out one whole step of packing.

When I make big dinners I try to seal-a-meal some leftovers to use for our camping trips later. We camp in winter and can take frozen food, but the idea here is to see how you can streamline foods for camping. If your making baked goods you could make an extra batch and freeze half to take on a a trip, it doesn't matter if things like that freeze.

You can pre-package tin foil bundles to just throw on a campfire, potato slices with online and cheese are my favorite. make... wrap... pack... and when you get there throw on the fire. the kids could even each make there own.

And in general simpler menus mean less effort and gear. Heck your camping it is supposed to be different, so don;t worry about big traditional meals. Skip lunch (sandwiches are a total pain to make when camping, and require you to pack way to much junk) and spend the whole day munching on dried fruits, trail mix, jerky, and other healthy snacks. Pick foods people can cook themselves around a camp fire, tin foil packets and things you can cook on a stick are all good. Plus jiffy-pop, I love that stuff on camping trips.

Regular gear that doesn't fit in the 'camp kitchen' like sleeping bags, BBQ, tent, all get stored together. And when we get home from one trip I take a minute and go through our gear putting things back, fixing / washing what needs it, then we are ready to go for next time.
You can use larger action packers or big hockey duffles to store these things. And again the idea is the same. If you know you have what you need packed and ready to go then you can grab it and go.

I don;' have kids. But my girlfriend who camps with hers made all her kids little pre-camping checklists, so each kid can get their own gear together.

Also whenever I feel overwhelmed by anything in life, I know it is a cue to cut something....
SO the next few times your camping be really aware of your gear, are you packing things you don't end up using? dump it (except for first aid and survival gear just be glad you don't use it) Are you choosing complicated options over simple ones? If you need more then one pot to make dinner, its complicated. Find easier choices.


In with these articles are some great ones with ideas for easy food:
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/column/column_feature.asp?sid=122

Meals without pots of pans
http://www.thecampingguy.com/no_pots.html

One pot meals
http://camping.about.com/od/recipes/a/onepotmeals.htm

what do i bring camping with me?

Q. i am 22 i have no kids and me and my friends are going camping at a lake and this is the first time on our own and i got part of the stuff (we are bringing our own stuff ) but my friends said they got every thing they need and i am going camping this next weekend and all i got is tent ,air mattress,food,towel,swimsuit,soap,shampoo and conditioner, lantern and that's all oh and my clothes and toothbrush and tooth paste is there anything else i need to bring and i am a women


Answer
Here is a good check list
http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/backpacking+checklist.html




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment