Friday, February 21, 2014

Does anyone know of a large backpack that can be apart to a smaller size?




Kyle


I'm in the military and I'm looking for a backpack that can pack 3 days worth of stuff, but can still be taken apart into a smaller size for like patrol and school use. I would prefer ACU, Black, Tan, or OD Green


Answer
For military use - forget it. You can only used what is issued.

For civilian use, I have seen such backpacks at Bass Pro Shop and Big 5 here in California. You should be able to find them online as well at Cabellas and other outfitting/outdoors companies. I do recommend that whatever you get you touch and feel it first to make sure it is what you really want. Often times the frames are weak aluminum and bend quite easily making the pack useless where you have to abondon the items or treat the pack as a hand-carry sack.

Interesting that you mention "3 days". A basic WWII, Korea, Vietnam (up to about 1986) combat pack provides plenty of room for someone who knows what they are doing for a 3 day hike/camping trip. I packed on for over 20 years and speak from experience. My pack had a mess kit, extra socks (2 pair), C rats and later MREs, poncho, extra skivvies and trousers, blanket, shelter half with pegs and tent pole, entrenching tool, 1st aid kit (in addition to the one on my cartridge belt), plus a few other items like bug juice. You just need to know who to properly pack your pack so that every cubic inch is used. The blanket and shelter half are carried on top of the pack and strapped on.

Water and another 1st aid pouch is on a cartridge belt that has pack suspenders to balance the load. If you want to add more, pick up a cargo pack that is strapped to the bottom of the marching pack. I have carried a can of 7.62 ammo in it plus extra gear. That was no fun because the ammo is mostly lead! : )

By the way, the color is OD Green. You can stil get these packs at most Army/Navy surplus stores around the country. I still have mine that I have used for over 40 years. Works great, been through hell, and still excellent condition. There are sprays for water repellenancy - have to use them on current nylon packs also but more often.

Lieutenant Colonel, U S Marine Corps-Retired (27 years active and had both my canvas and ALICE pack. preferred the canvas since it never broke).

A little help with a camping swag please...?




David


So I friend and I are going to go bushwalking for a bit out on a nature reserve behind his house. I recently bought a swag so that it would be easier than lugging around a tent and easier to pitch, but I came to problem, how do I carry it while walking? Is there some kind of bag I can buy for it or something? Please help.
I live in Australia by the way. Western Australia to be exact. If that helps.



Answer
In Oz, a "swag" is what we here States-side would call a "bedroll" or "bivy sack".

http://www.australianswags.co.uk/

A "swag man" is a wanderer who travels with such a bedroll.

Clearly you need a backpack to haul it in. You could just buy a bare frame pack with shoulder straps and hip belt (we can buy them in military surplus stores here) and then strap it on with webbing buckles or bungee cords. But it would probably be better to get a large single compartment internal frame backpack, maybe 40 or 50 liters. Won't you be needing to carry something for hauling water bags, food and other kit anyway? If your swag is small enough you could roll it up and lash it to the bottom of a smaller pack -- most have buckles or tabs on the bottom to attach a packed sleeping bag or tent to,

I did a Google search for "military surplus camping Australia" and saw page after page of dealers so I am sure there are some handy to you.

As far as "lugging" a tent, a good quality nylon backpacking tent would be under 2 kilos and pack down the size of a large bread loaf, so I doubt the swag saved you much weight, especially if it is canvas. In fact the single swags on that link I posted weigh a whopping 4.9 kilos!! My entire backpacking kit including 2-man bugproof tent, sleeping bag, pad and stove doesn't weigh that much altogether. But I suppose carrying all that weight builds character, eh mate?




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment