Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Tips for camping on my honeymoon?

Q. Hi! Originally my fiancee and I were going to get a hotel room on a beach that's about an hour and a half away from where we'll be living for our honeymoon (next march) but my hubby-to-be can't swim and is terrified of the ocean and I don't reallly LOVE it either. So after much thought and consideration I decided I'd like to go camping. I brought the idea up to my fiancee and he LOVED the idea. We both agree that being in the wilderness, just one tent, one sleeping bag, the stars and I will be so nice and romantic. Here's the issue: neither of us has been camping. When I was a kid I used to sleep in a tent in my dad's backyard but that's the extent of my wilderness expereince... and his is when he was kicked out for two days as a teenager and slept in the park... so basically we have NONE. What tips can anyone give us? What type of tent and sleeping bag should we get? What should we bring along? We'll be living in South Texas (McAllen) so where should we GO camping... like a specific camping ground or just where ever the trails take us? ANY help (especially tips that'll save us money!!) are VERY much appreciated.

I will be picking a best answer so if you put time into your answer don't worry, I'll take note of it :)


Answer
My first and foremost bit of advice would be to try some shorter camping trips first and gain some personal experience. Then, as Trish suggests, consider a location where you can drive to a site, rather than having to hike long distances. As a newer camper, the extra safety and convenience of having your vehicle nearby will likely be a welcome benefit.

Your basics are tent, sleeping bag, mattress, kitchen gear, food and water storage, bathroom/hygiene, clothing, first aid and comfort. Trying to deal with each of these in sufficient detail to be useful would make a good book or website. I generally try to avoid just posting links without any details, but in this case Yahoo! won't even let me get half way through without telling me my post is too long. So I suggest you spend a few evenings reviewing the wealth of knowledge on REI's "Expert Advice" website:

http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/camping#tab_2

I'll forewarn you that gearing-up for your first camping trip can be quite expensive, but try to avoid going out and buying everything you can think of for your first trip. As I said above, take a few shorter trips and build up what you need over time. Don't be tempted to cheap-out on important things like your tent or mattress, as this can lead to a miserable experience. As long as you're not backpacking, don't concern yourself with ultralight (and ultra-expensive) gear. Get a good 4-person dome tent with plenty of ventilation and good storm fly coverage from a quality brand, such as Eureka, NorthFace, Coleman or Kelty. Two sleeping bags that can zip together will be more useful in the long run than one double bag. Watch your temperature ratings on the sleeping bags: unless you expect to camp in very cold weather, 40-degree is a good rating (you can always bring some blankets to extend if necessary, or leave it open or even sleep on top in hot weather). A mattress is important for warmth and comfort. For two people either get a good quality inflatable mattress and pump, or two thick, large self-inflating mattresses (you can buy or make straps to hold them together).

Be prepared for rain and unexpected cold weather. An extra tarp, a dining canopy, easy-up or screen room is recommended. Mosquito coils or bug lanterns help keep the bugs away better than citronella candles and don't stink like oil lanterns. Consider items like food storage, seating, bathroom needs (if no bathroom will be convenient), fresh water storage and purification (if necessary), cutting firewood, etc.

Let me end now before Yahoo cuts me short again. But spend the time on REI's site and then go out on some practice trips. Congratulations on your nuptials and I hope your honeymoon camping experience is every bit as pleasant and romantic as you envision.

What do you advise for a good four person tent?




bruar02


I don't want anything too heavy or bulky, our apartment is small. We have a two person tent, sierra designs lightning. It's too small for two adults, two smaller dogs and our stuff. I was looking at the mutha hubba 3 person tent, it seems nice but I don't want to outgrow it (what if we have kids) so now I'm thinking about a four person tent.


Answer
Depends on how much you want to spend. You have already mentioned two high priced tents of which are really no better the the colman brands or eureka and kelty brands. All three of these tent makers make quality family size tents that fold up into nice convenient size packages. Of these I recommend the Colman sundome series these are nice three season tents that come with a stay dry guarantee that the other three tent makers don't have. And the prices are a third of those high end tents you mentioned.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=2000001976&categoryid=11020&brand=

In the high end category where price is no object I recommend the REI base camp 6 it is a really strong three season maybe four season, pending on where your camping, multi pole and full rain fly tent. Room enough to stand up in, yet an aero dynamic design for windy weather. Its highly rated for multi use and great for base camps.

http://www.rei.com/product/777755

Now for the Taj Mahaul of family size tents where room is of the utmost importance and yet the price is still affordable I go back to Colman tents. I prefer the WeatherMaster 10 its their biggest tent and again the stay dry guarantee.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/detail.asp?CategoryID=11020&product_id=2000001598

Bottom line you can spend a lot and get just as much if not more for a lot less. so shop around




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment